This blog was created to document our experience dealing with Bailey, our 16 year old daughter's stroke. Until September 15th, she was a perfectly healthy, active teenage girl. She is a junior in high school this year. She has a part time job, many friends and a busy social life. She is involved with the marching band, cross country skiing and the school theater group. Her class schedule reads like that of my nightmares - Honors classes, Advanced placement classes and even a "college in school" physics class. She has a smile that shows itself with the slightest of provocation. She is happy, easy going and a bit goofy. Generally, there was no reason to expect any health issues and definitely we would not ever have even thought a stroke was a possibility.

So, this is our story. I am hoping it will help others who experience this sort of misfortune to understand they are not alone. Maybe they are feeling the way we do and will take some comfort our story.

Monday, October 18, 2010

The universe wanted me to be prepared

Some of you may have noticed that there aren't any references to prayer or God in my blog.  One would think that in a tough time like this that I would be praying for my daughters recovery.  Well, quite honestly I am not sure I believe that there is a higher power.  Honestly, what I should say is that I don't believe in God.  What I do believe is that the universe provides you with what you need.  I believe that everyone you meet has something special to offer even if it is not immediately apparent.  I believe that the things you learn will provide you with the knowledge you need later in life.

Never have my beliefs been more thoroughly validated then in the current situation.  This is how my life was before the stroke:

In May I was laid off from my full time job.  I weeks looking for a new one in my field with no luck so I decided to see if I could find something part time that would at least help me pay the bills.  The first job I found online was for a mobile wedding DJ.  I made the call.  I was hired in May and have been doing it ever since.

Now that I had found some supplemental income I figured I had better come up with a plan for the rest of my life.  I decided to go to college.  I had never done this before because I got pregnant right out of high school and decided to be a parent instead of being a student.  It was equal parts exciting and terrifying but it felt good to have a plan.

I started school in August, I had an English Comp class, a Chemistry class and an Intro to Psych class.  I loved them all.  I especially enjoyed the Psych class where I spent four weeks learning about how awesome the human brain is.  How it can retrain other areas of the brain to do things that damaged areas can no longer do.  Plasticity is the technical term for it.

So I guess you are probably wondering how all these things fit together.  Well, let me explain.

The four weeks of college were the four weeks prior to Bay's stroke.  The last wedding I DJ'd before Bailey's stroke was a gal who had a stroke when she was 19.  When I met Jen (the bride) I had no idea that teenagers could have strokes.  Without the four weeks of Psych class I wouldn't have understood anything the doctors or therapists were telling me about Bay's diagnosis, rehab and prognosis.

The universe had sent me the knowledge I needed and it had sent me a wonderful resource for Bailey in the form of Jen (Sanders) Talbott.  Both of these things arrived just when I needed them most.

Not that you can ever really be prepared for your child to have a stroke but the universe made one hell of an effort to help me out.  I guess I was meant to be prepared, at least on some level.

Thank you Universe.

1 comment:

  1. And just who do you think created this wonderfull "universe" for you? None of the events you list happened by chance, and you yourself describe how they have all fit together. I see that as the work of a sovereign God, not the result of random atoms spinning around in the darkness.

    Love, Dad....

    ReplyDelete