This blog was created to document our experience dealing with Bailey, our 16 year old daughter's stroke. Until September 15th, she was a perfectly healthy, active teenage girl. She is a junior in high school this year. She has a part time job, many friends and a busy social life. She is involved with the marching band, cross country skiing and the school theater group. Her class schedule reads like that of my nightmares - Honors classes, Advanced placement classes and even a "college in school" physics class. She has a smile that shows itself with the slightest of provocation. She is happy, easy going and a bit goofy. Generally, there was no reason to expect any health issues and definitely we would not ever have even thought a stroke was a possibility.

So, this is our story. I am hoping it will help others who experience this sort of misfortune to understand they are not alone. Maybe they are feeling the way we do and will take some comfort our story.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Our first night at Sister Kenny (SKI)

Most of the day we just sat around and did nothing. It was a transition day so no therapy was on the schedule.  We moved into her room, fussed with the lack of space and arranged things as best we could.  While it is not as glamorous of accommodations as we had grown used to, being on the Neuroscience Ward, it would do.  They told us she would spend very little time in her room anyway so she wouldn't be too claustrophobic.  I have my doubts!

She has a room mate in her new room.  A 27 year old that stroke while under anesthetic to remove 3 brain tumors.  She is chatty and seems to be in good spirits.  She and James hit it off right away - seems she is a very big Slip Knot fan just like him.  Since she has left sided paralysis and Bay had right sided we decided that together they were two halves of a whole and would be unstoppable in a three legged race!  I am glad she got a room mate that can still laugh after facing so much adversity.  I know it will help Bailey to keep up her positive attitude.

Most of the day was pretty relaxing and enjoyable.  We are allowed to take her off of the ward so we did some wandering around the hospital, which was fun.  She seemed to enjoy being out of her room.  Since we are not allowed to sleep over with her the end of the day was a bit tough.  She didn't want us to leave and we sure didn't want to leave.  The idea of leaving my baby alone in the hospital with strangers is one of the hardest things I have ever done and here I was doing it for the second time in a week.

She seemed OK when we left but an hour and a half later she was on the phone having a meltdown.  She was scared and sad.  She had dozed off and woke up looking for me.  When I wasn't there she freaked out.  I managed to calm her down talking to her about why she was in the rehab center.  What our goals were and what she wanted to do - COME HOME.  She had said earlier in the day that she wanted to walk home so I told her to close her eyes and see herself walking out of the hospital and to the car.  I told her to repeat "I will walk to the car" over and over and over.  I told her to see it, believe it and set her mind to that.  I told her to remember that this was what being in the rehab center was for and that she was strong and could do it.

I managed to get her to calm down and go to sleep.  I wish I had been able to go to sleep.  I woke up every two hours looking to see how she was and when she wasn't there I came close to my own meltdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment