This blog was created to document our experience dealing with Bailey, our 16 year old daughter's stroke. Until September 15th, she was a perfectly healthy, active teenage girl. She is a junior in high school this year. She has a part time job, many friends and a busy social life. She is involved with the marching band, cross country skiing and the school theater group. Her class schedule reads like that of my nightmares - Honors classes, Advanced placement classes and even a "college in school" physics class. She has a smile that shows itself with the slightest of provocation. She is happy, easy going and a bit goofy. Generally, there was no reason to expect any health issues and definitely we would not ever have even thought a stroke was a possibility.

So, this is our story. I am hoping it will help others who experience this sort of misfortune to understand they are not alone. Maybe they are feeling the way we do and will take some comfort our story.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Chastised for slacking

Apparently I have been neglectful of the blog in the last few days.  Trust me, it is not intentional.  We have started the modifications to the house and I suddenly have less hours in my day then I did a week ago.  I didn't have enough then, so now it is wearing on me even more.

Paul's cousin Keith is heading up the project and he has become somewhat of a rock in our lives.  When we were unable to make decisions on Home Depot the other night he gently guided us in the right direction.  Not sure what we would do without him right now.  I guess we would still be standing in Home Depot staring at toilets.

The folks at Home Depot are beyond awesome.  R.J. Leslie and his staff are so knowledgeable and patient.  It has made the whole experience that much less stressful.

On Wednesday Becky brought the finished Homecoming dress to the hospital.  It is spectacular!  Bailey is so excited.  She tried it on and I practically had to hold her down to remove it.  She wanted to "just keep it on for a while."  I had to explain to her that it would then need to be ironed and I just don't have time for that.  She did finally take it off but when I was ready to leave and asked if I should take it home to keep it safe she just about dove out of the bed yelling "Noooooo."  It almost seemed like it was in slow motion like in the movies.

Yesterday "the boy" (Zach) came to Bailey's last session of PT so that he could learn to walk with her, support her and catch her if she falls.  He caught on quick and even corrected us once when the chair she was transferring into was in the wrong position.  I know they will do fine but it still is not going to inspire me to leave her alone with her friends.

Overall, this week has been very good.  No major set backs and a few great successes.  I only wish it also had included some extra hours or perhaps the energy level I had at 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment