This blog was created to document our experience dealing with Bailey, our 16 year old daughter's stroke. Until September 15th, she was a perfectly healthy, active teenage girl. She is a junior in high school this year. She has a part time job, many friends and a busy social life. She is involved with the marching band, cross country skiing and the school theater group. Her class schedule reads like that of my nightmares - Honors classes, Advanced placement classes and even a "college in school" physics class. She has a smile that shows itself with the slightest of provocation. She is happy, easy going and a bit goofy. Generally, there was no reason to expect any health issues and definitely we would not ever have even thought a stroke was a possibility.

So, this is our story. I am hoping it will help others who experience this sort of misfortune to understand they are not alone. Maybe they are feeling the way we do and will take some comfort our story.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Running or having a seizure?

I used to watch my daughter run and think "wow, she has no coordination at all." It was like watching that old Friends episode where Phoebe teaches Rachel to let loose and run like her. It was equal parts funny, embarrassing and endearing to watch.

This morning as I sat in the car watching Bailey hobble towards the school door, struggle to open it and then wobble in, I missed that uncoordinated run. I used to have to tell her to slow down because she was so prone to knocking things over. She was, as the saying goes, a bull in the china shop. Nowadays every movement is an effort, every step is well thought out, every narrow passageway another hurtle to overcome.

While it is heartbreaking for her mother it doesn't seem to phase her. When I picked her up yesterday afternoon I kept staring at her and she wanted to know why. I told her that I was having a hard time with watching her struggling. She looked at me, smiled, and said "Ah, it's OK. It is what it is and I will run again. Don't you worry."

Has a mother every loved her daughter this much?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bailey and family,
    You're doing great Bailey, keep up the hard work! We don't know each other, but my mother who lives in Richfield told me about you, so I thought I'd drop you a line.
    Although I'm a few years older than you, I also had a stroke and have experienced a similar recovery and similar experiences. Here's my sites if you want to check it out: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jessicazalusky and www.roadracinggirl.com
    Keep at the PT, OT and the positive thinking. Make sure to cut yourself some slack too. Journal and write as much as you can about your experience, so you can go back and see your progress!
    If you ever need to chat or want to meet, contact me! Not many young stroke survivors out there!!

    Jessica Zalusky

    ReplyDelete